Monday, December 5, 2011

Puppetry, Miniature props, Sets

I just saw The Muppets. Before the movie even started a 10 minute long preview of a fourth Toy Story set The Muppets up for being a heartfelt piece of nostalgia.  Personally, they [Toy Story] had me at the last one.  But I am not a movie critic and this is not a film oriented blog, so bear with me I'm getting to my point.  

I was introduced to Muppets on Sesame Street starring our pals Elmo, Bert and Ernie and Big Bird.  I really never thought some of their comrades were over half a century old.  But the variety hour aesthetic certainly put things into perspective, that perspective being Miss Piggy and Kermit are nostalgic characters from generations other than my own.  

But there's more.  

My infant memory centralized on fun looking toys and/or the hard-hitting problems of brushing my teeth, tying my shoes, getting into a chair, reaching for cereal.  I never noticed or even appreciated Jim Henson's incredibly detailed puppets or skilled puppeteers manipulating their dialogue like a ventriloquist.

The first detail I noticed were the pieces of foam used for snouts like "The Great Gonzo's," which appears to be carved, painted foam:


His eyelids and mouth also look like they could be cut, painted foam.

The use of flocking to create Miss Piggy and the detail of her costumes:


The imitation Miss Piggy Chanel suit.


Her netted cocktail hat.


For promotional purposes, designers were even dressing Miss Piggy in their collections.


Kermit's head is manipulated by a hand.  
(just never thought about it.):


His body was initially a recycled coat, his eyes are toys cut in half, and he has a pretty damn cool collar (made from synthetic fleece).  
Can I mention again that every authentic emotion is created with someones hand?

Lastly, the hair as seen on Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem:
(Especially Animal, Zoot and Janice's Hair)


Janice on guitar featuring string hair:


Zoot on Sax featuring synthetic hair:


And my personal favorite, Animal, on drums featuring feather hair:


(Look familiar ladies with feathers in their hair? Remember, Animal did it first)

The Muppets resonated with me in more than one way.  It was truly inspiring to study the details and nuances that mold these characters.




(puppetry, miniature props, sets.)






No comments:

Post a Comment