Thursday, December 15, 2011

Frances Elvira Alessio

Just for a minute I would like to remember and honor my truly and literally Great Aunt Fran.

(A dress she designed, drafted and sewed herself.)

Her hospitality, honesty, respect, passion, positivity and creativity were infectious.  Her vivaciousness has greatly impacted my life and the lives of those around her.

Each year I was lucky enough to celebrate a Jewtalian Chrismakkuh.  We'd shamelessly prepare to loosen our buckles and pant buttons, ready to indulge in the Italian Christmas Eve classic - festa dei sette pesci (feast of the seven fishes).  The grandness of her meals and artistry in her water colors, sculptures or ceramics have inspired my work.  Especially her stuffed artichokes.
Senior year of high school I made a 4 ft by 6 ft painting of artichokes that currently resides on my diningroom table:


My Aunt Fran was as much a teacher as she was a student.  From Monet to Pavarotti, she appreciated all things creative and beautiful art or music.  

"Your creative ability is awesome ! 
We admire you so much !!!"
- an excerpt from the last card she ever made and sent me


The funny part is, I've always said the same about her.
I am greatly humbled by her and will certainly continue to create, keeping in mind her ability to amplify anything ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment